Not my kind of tea party...

I recently got quite excited when I heard about the tea party movement in America. At last, I thought. Americans are recognising the brilliance of tea and cake.

Alas.

This glorious concept has been hijacked by Sarah Palin et al to champion the republican loony cause - and not a single cucumber sandwich in sight.

(Yes, I know it's stealing its name from the day Americans tipped lots of perfectly good tea into the sea - another sacrilege - in protest for us Brits taxing them. I feel like if they'd only just sat down with a cup and a slice of victoria sponge, instead of putting it in brine then the same result could have been achieved in a much more yummy fashion. )

So what is to be done?

I could defame them, embarrass them, point out all the many holes in their arguments. Or I could just sit back with a cup of tea and a scone and let them do it all for me. Fear not. The good name of Tea will not be besmirched for long. As they say on their own website, they only have 114,369 signatures for the repeal of the bill-to-help-people, and while they're right, that is 11.4% of a million, it's also 0.37% of the population of America.

I think they should all have a cup of tea and calm the heck down. And while they're at it, they can think a bit about the Christian values they espouse so fanatically: "And God said we should all carry weapons and prevent the poor from receiving care"...something like that, right?

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, they drive me insane. Embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an appalling lack of understanding about social responsibility in this country. http://britsnbobs.blogspot.com/2010/03/health-care-reform-its-not-perfect-but.html

    ReplyDelete