Wedding invites and the ultimate micro management tool...

I am in love with www.paperlesspost.com.

To clarify, this is because we (I) sent out our wedding invites yesterday. By email. Ok it has a few hang-ups – a couple of people have had to filch their invite out of spam (that’s what we get for going with a program that’s still in beta) and, well, it’s not exactly traditional. But all of these issues are outweighed by 1 million stone (that’s 14000000lbs) because of how easy, eco-friendly and, yes, cheap it is. There is another reason why I love it so much. It satisfies, nay, surfeits, my ever-pressing need for information. Basically it’s a whole new way of spying, because with the tracking system I can see which invites have been received, opened, when they were opened, viewed, when they were viewed... If I were so inclined (which I am) I could refresh the tracker every few minutes to for an uptotheminute update.

Jeremy’s worried.

He sees it as symptomatic of a need to micro manage everything and has already (I’m sure) forseen his henpecked tortured future. I think that given the amount of uncertainty I’ve put up with over the past 6.5 years I should clutch with both hands the opportunity for information. I am NOT good at uncertainty. It eats me up inside. To demonstrate, I thought I’d share with you a recent gmail chat between Jeremy and I. It’s pretty long, but essentially says all you need to know about the two of us:

Me: it's seriously testing my limits of sanity. You better buy me a good bookcase


Jeremy: what is?


Me: the waiting and the not knowing


Jeremy: why? Whats the big deal with that? You gotta get used to that, life is waiting and not knowing


Me: I know, but this is all a little extreme


Jeremy: how so?


Me: it's marriage and moving countries and weddings. people normally know when those things are happening


Jeremy: yeah, but you know they are happening and approx when. whats the big deal what specific day they are?


Me: because I can't plan anything, can't book anything. nothing is definite


Jeremy: plan or book what?


Me: flights / hotels / city halls... my parents don't know if they can come 'cause they don't know when it is


Jeremy: what do they have to do?


Me: what do you mean?


Jeremy: well, what do they have coming up that would keep them from coming


Me: dad's just started a new job, jess has exams… mum's ok I think


Jeremy: so its not uncertainty, it's specific dates. Thats no big deal. Can plan around that


Me: how?


Jeremy: we have some time


Me: not much - I'll die if we're waiting for permission to leave (America) close to the wedding


Jeremy: it will be fine


Me: that's your motto


Jeremy: has it ever not been?


Me: well yes, but let's not go there... things worked out eventually.


Jeremy: So there has been a time where if you worried more, things would have gone better?


Me: you're doing your sermon on the mount routine again



Jeremy: I was just gonna tell you to consider the lillies in the field


Me: or the sparrows


Jeremy: I don't know about them- they weren't referred to in Godspell. But isn't the Sermon on the Mount the standout part of Christianity?


Me: yea


Jeremy: that makes you the worst christian ever


Me: and you a pretty good one


Jeremy: Yeah. You're going to hell for toiling


Me: probably. Although I'm fairly sure the consequence of worry wasn't hell, it was just proved pointless


Jeremy: ok, so you're pointless


Me: some of my worrying is pointless. Ok all. But i don't choose to worry


Jeremy: but you can choose not to


Me: that's a total contradiction - how can I choose not to if I don't choose to in the first place


Jeremy: no it isn't - cause you have to consciously suppress the feeling of worry and say to yourself that you can't affect things out of your control anyways


Me: it's not easy.


Jeremy: no, for you I would also suggest a healthy dose of pot and narcotics


Me: thanks.


Jeremy: np

1 comment:

  1. that's hilarious. Jeremy would make an EXCELLENT cognitive-behavioral therapist. unfortunately, those same skills don't always translate well to being an empathic partner. I think living with a chronic worrier has forced me to be a better person (I hope that's true). I concur with J's drug advice.

    ReplyDelete