Driving with Jeremy

Jeremy: Ok, now you’re gonna take a right and then an immediate left…

…Woah, woah, watch it….

- Silence –

Jeremy: Sorry

He’s apologizing because I don’t like it when he voices nervousness when I’m driving. Only in this instance he’s perfectly entitled to because I’ve just nearly crashed into a tree.

Jeremy: “Er you can go faster if you want” (I'm now driving about 10 mph)

Me: “I’m still processing the tree.”

Until recently, my only experience with driving was with a driving instructor in England 7 years ago. This is completely different. Firstly because I was not married to the driving instructor and therefore crying / sulking / moaning was not permitted – I had to suck it up and get on with it. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, because the driving instructor had a brake.

I feel the need to state here that I’m learning on a standard. Possibly the only standard in the whole of North America. I know this will not garner any sympathy from you English folks, but at least a large number of Americans reading this will concede that they wouldn’t be able to turn a corner while shifting gear either.

A major advantage (or disadvantage, depending what mood I’m in) of living with my driving instructor is that he can motivate me to practice and I need motivation because I am not remotely inclined to risk my life (and more importantly Jeremy's car's life) of an evening. Motivation from Jeremy generally comes in the form of a reminder that no one, absolutely no one aged 26 does not know how to drive.

It does the trick.

Because literally everyone drives here. If you have not learned to drive by age 17 then you are a freak of nature. The literature on the DMV’s website about getting your learner’s permit reads: “You just turned 16 and are ready to obtain your learner's permit. This is what you need to know before planning a trip with your parent or guardian to your local Registry branch” When I went into the local registry branch (without my parent or guardian) I was asked had I been there before. When I replied no I was asked my age. When I told her my age she said ‘So, you have been here before.’

Sigh.

I am an anomaly, a mystery, an aberration. When I tell people I do not drive they look at me as if trying to assess what exactly is wrong with me. I try to reassure them that it’s normal in England for people not to learn until later but that doesn’t help much – it just confirms their suspicions that all English people are weird.

All I can do is learn how to drive as soon as possible. Which means stopping being such a wimp about the whole thing and just doing it. And looking out for trees.

3 comments:

  1. Some of us do actually PREFER driving standard cars. ;)

    Though I am awfully glad I didn't have to learn on one!

    Good luck. I am not looking forward to having to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it such a pain? I learned when I was 16 and it scared me so much that I refused to get my license, returned to me home overseas, and didn't pursue it again until I was 20 and forced to by my Dad. Even then, I didn't really drive regularly until I was 24. Now that I live in Dallas, you're right, EVERYONE drives. There's no other option.

    It's such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously sympathize with this! The whole driving thing here is nonsense. And Massachusetts is notoriously bad. I have had my own struggles with it.

    ReplyDelete