A Trifle

Wedding planning madness is being interrupted this weekend by Jeremy turning old.

To celebrate, we're having a big BBQ where we'll smoke a pork shoulder to make pulled pork and accompany it with many many delicious sides, demonstrating conclusively that Americans know how to do BBQs in a way us Brits would never imagine. British BBQs of sausages and burgers certainly have their place in my heart but this is something else. The mere addition of mashed potato is enough to convert me, but throw into the mix collard greens, corn bread and jambalaya and I'm sold.

I recently discovered that an array of English roast-dinner accompaniments go surprisingly well with BBQ. cauliflower cheese has been a massive hit, and I think roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings would fare well also. So in a strike of genius, I decided that for Jeremy's party I would make a traditional English trifle. A taste of home that would integrate well with the BBQ deliciousness.. I checked with Jeremy on whether the ingredients would be available in our local supermarket and I set out on a humidity soaked quest to obtain them.

It took me about an hour of traipsing around the supermarket and one phone call to Jeremy asking for descriptions of brands / boxes / locations before I finally had a basket of passable trifle ingredients.Here is what I found out, in case you too want to make trifle in America.

- Custard is called Pudding and is to be found disguised as Jell-o. Birds custard does exist in the 'British Foods' section but it was, like everything there, prohibitively expensive.

- Jell-o, as we English already know from watching far too much American TV, is what they call Jelly, only it comes in disconcertingly powdered form, rather than the temptingly edible gelatin cubes that I grew up with.

- Lady fingers don't exist but I settled on Vanilla flavoured wafers, which seem comparable but are found with the cookies rather than baking section.

- Jam, as I'm sure everyone knows, is Jelly, which is fine only it lurks in the bakery section, plus by this point I was getting confused with the jelly / jell-o thing anyway.

I was then asked at the check-out if I was paying with food stamps, which either says something about me or the food I was buying, I'm not sure.

Sorry, that was SO un-pc of me. I take it back. 

So, armed with my dubious substitutes for trifle ingredients (what would Delia say?) I am going to attempt to wow Americans with my British culinary skills.

I can't say I'm holding out a huge amount of hope. 

6 comments:

  1. my mom has mastered the art of making delicious trifles whilst in america. maybe i can refer her to you for advice =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this made me smile! I took ill when last in England and sent my fiance on quite the quest for sugar free Jell-O which led to 1) him informing me it didn't exist (due to the lost in translation confusion of it all) 2) tears (on my part) and 3) the discovery that what I was after was apparently 'jelly' and was apparently not kept in the same sort of form or section of the shops as in America, and the subsequent delivery of said jelly much to my relief...

    Good for you for working it all out and best of luck with the trifle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL great post..."interrupted by Jeremy turning old." Haha. No one can top Americans when it comes to BBQs! I can't wait to break out the pork shoulder when I get to Bristol! They won't know what hit them. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you - I love a good barbecue. However, my British-raised (but American citizen by birth) husband doesn't like barbecue sauce... he dislikes the sweetness of it.

    He's trained me to make both roast potatoes and roast parsnips (which most Americans have never seen or tasted).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trifle came out great! ;) I didn't realize it was such a scavenger hunt... impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em were you the one person that actually had some?! And I'm not sure 'great' is the word I'd choose... gloopy, maybe! We ate it all though - it may not have held onto any sense of form but it tasted pretty good. x

    ReplyDelete