Wedding Countdown and More Lists to be Ticked...

There's under two months to go until wedding no.2 and the nightmares have started.

I'd thought I was pretty well prepared - I'd done a lot before leaving England and it was really just sundries and a few loose ends left. Nothing to stress about.

Apparently my subconscious disagrees.

In my subconscious, I am the epitome of flaky disorganisation. I forget to do flowers, my dress is a foot too long because I've forgotten to have it taken up and I have mean friends who spitefully throw massive glasses of water all over me. For some reason I haven't yet dreamed about Jeremy not showing up, which is actually a valid concern because he hasn't booked his tickets yet and I have. I did manage to veto his master plan of flying via Iceland though. There's a reason why those tickets are cheaper. That volcano may have quietened down for the time being, but that's no reason to go and taunt it.

Needless to say, my wedding related anxiety has been slowly but surely mounting in the past two weeks.It's an ongoing dialogue between Jeremy and I that has no end. Or rather, it's an ongoing monologue where every now and again in the middle of unrelated conversation I'll throw in a task that we really really need to do and Jeremy attempts to ignore me. I am not easily ignored. Jeremy's solution to try and stop my anxious wheedling is to book in wedding time. Whole chunks of time devoted to wedding related chores and in return I'm supposed to not worry aloud for the rest of the week.

I do not keep my side of the bargain.

Wedding time does work though. On Tuesday we bought Jeremy's suit and our rings all within the space of about 2 hours. On the way home, all I could think about was the satisfaction I would get from ticking those jobs off the list on the fridge. I was genuinely excited about it - one big permanent marker tick per job. Maybe two in the wedding ring box because there were two rings. For once my wedding chatter was about tasks accomplished and ticking...

We got home and I momentarily forgot about ticking and went to the loo or made tea or ate part of the mountain of carrot cake that is the result of my bridal shower and me having chosen a not-universally-loved cake flavour (and my sister in law buying a cake for 45 people when the shower was comprised of 15. I'm not complaining though, I have enough cake to last at least a week)...

When I returned, marker in hand to tick off my list I found to my horror that Jeremy had already done it. Not even a good tick either, the sort of half-arsed badly proportioned tick that only a malicious left-handed husband could do. While he chuckled in the background I morosely traced over his ticks.

It did not have the same effect.

The phrase 'candy from a baby' comes to mind, although in that story I'm the baby so that's not great.

Never fear, there are many more tasks on the list and I shall get my own back by nagging him to death.

Jeremy. You really need to book your flights. Now.

I'm serious.

 

3 comments:

  1. Weddings are too much drama, aren't they? It will go wonderfully, I guarantee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my sympathies regarding wedding planning stress! Just under 3 months til mine and I'm wondering how it will all get done. To some extent, when I remember the point of the day (to celebrate the marriage in the presence of family and friends) and when I think of it as a party of sorts - I stress a lot less over the details... best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stealing.your.well.organised.thunder. grounds for divorce that. Everyone knows the best part of the list is ticking items off! I do zig zaggy lines but they have to be extra neat. Fran xx

    ReplyDelete