Girl Friday

This morning as the alarm went off I groaned and hit snooze. "Thank goodness it’s Friday", I thought as I clung to the lingering bliss of sleep. Nothing is ever as comfortable as bed first thing in the morning as you try to get up. Nothing is as painful either.

And somewhere, in amidst the pain of waking and the dread of the second tinny alarm chorus going off, I realized. Fridays have become Fridays again. Lie-ins have resumed their hallowed status of something-to-be-treasured rather than just a way to make the day shorter. Already I’m looking back on the past 3 months of lazy wake-ups and am kicking myself for not relishing it while I had the chance.

You know what this means, right? Normality is reasserting itself, in all its tiredness inducing strength.

Weirdly, I think Friday becoming Friday is the most progress I’ve made so far and although I felt deep regret on leaving my bed this morning, it felt like a significant achievement (the having a reason to get up rather than the getting up…although that was brutal, so that counts too). I’m a little apprehensive about Monday becoming Monday, but as I’ve only signed up to volunteer 3 days a week, I have a little while to gingerly ease myself back into the unwelcoming waters of early mornings. Meanwhile, tomorrow is my first Saturday since December.

Hello Life, my name is Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment