God Save the errrr Queen?

As my train was barrelling through South West England on my way towards London last week, past ocean and rolling hills and great big white horses cut into chalk hills, a peculiar feeling welled within me. I struggled to define it...could it be? No, surely not, not pride? Pride in England? That's practically patriotism. Must have been simple aesthetic appreciation of landscape. There. Far more acceptable.

But the thing is, this sort of thing is happening more and more regularly. I find myself drawn to cushions and tea towels with Union Jacks on them (there's one tea towel in particular that I love...just a hint for those intending on waving flags at my final departure - why not wave tea towels instead?!), I get wistful hearing pomp and circumstance, I even felt a stirring of appreciation for Prince William and his prematurely balding head.

The only explanation I can see for this dalliance with royalism and rule-brittaniaism is that it's a natural defence against the over-powering force of American patriotism.

Take the Stars and Stripes. Also known as 'The Star Spangled Banner, 'Old Glory' or 'Red White and Blue' (never mind the fact that there are at least 28 other countries whose flag is coloured red white and blue , and that Russia, Cuba and North Korea are amongst them). In America, The Flag is EVERYWHERE. On houses, on cars, lining bridges. I can not overstate its ubiquity. There are even little postboxes where you can (and I quote) "retire your flag with honour". This is serious stuff. Hey, it's the same even in good old 'liberal' Massachusetts (who let the side down today), which demonstrates that (in America) patriotism doesn't necessarily mean conservatism (although I'd argue the reverse is almost always true across the board and the Atlantic).

Now in England, patriotism is practically a dirty word. And unless it's football season, British Flags outside of houses tend to signify that the occupants are ummm skinheads (literally or politically). The photos at the American Embassy of kids wrapped up in American flags or marching in red-white-blue-tshirt-formation to denote the flag, if replicated in Britain would most likely be advertising a BNP rally. At a guess I'd say that if the British Embassy has any photos on its TV screens (and I doubt it does), they would be of cricket, rugby, David Beckham... beefeaters perhaps (people in funny costumes, not people who eat beef, although they probably do) - things it's ok-to-be-reasonably-proud-of-without-being-labelled-a-nationalist.

America, I'm not mocking you...or at least not too much. If anything I think it's nice for it to be OK to have pride in one's country - provided it doesn't blinker a person to the validity of other countries and provided (of course) that that pride accepts all citizens, regardless of heritage (Nick Griffin take note) - but as an English person about to attempt to settle in the US, the whole extroverted patriotism thing is rather overwhelming. Hence my sudden desire to dry my dishes with a Union Jack (although have just realised that that's probably not proper flag etiquette in the states and I'd probably be seen as defaming my country rather than hooray-ing it).

It's strange how when faced with being a minority, these tribal instincts seem to surface. I'm not accustomed to championing Britain. I'm accustomed to self-deprecating humour, to moaning about the weather, disparaging our politicians and ridiculing our monarchy. But suddenly I want to be British, want to stand stalwart in the face of marauding flags. I'm just not entirely sure how. God Save the errrr Queen?

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget to wear your union jack pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May need to qualify on here that they're knickers not trousers - Union Jack trousers would probably be taking the whole thing a teensy bit too far. I will be wearing them, don't you worry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - funny. Americans truly think that every country is as patriotic as they are. I have to explain to my friends that a great many countries think our level of patriotism is a bit dangerous.

    My British friends always move between disgust and amusement at our ever-present flags. They also have expressed their deep dislike for the way our President is basically required to repeatedly state that "we are the greatest nation in the world!" or something of that sort.

    Yeah, ridiculous. I do think it's good to appreciate your heritage, though, so bring on the tea towels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working with refugees IS so fulfilling, I totally agree! The first couple I worked with actually spoke Indonesian, which is the language I used to speak growing up. I cried the whole way home after that meeting - so thankful to have someone from my (sort-of) culture! The blessing definitely flows both ways.

    If you're looking for an organization to work with in the US, I highly recommend both World Relief and the International Rescue Committee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... no patriotism here, I think a lot of people gag at the sight of the American flag these days. Anyway, recently my dad, after 30 years of the United States, is dying to move back to England. They're considering it, though it probably won't happen. He misses the long walks, the foot-paths, the hedges, etc. Oh and no one gets his jokes here ;)

    ReplyDelete