The one where my book gets rejected.


The final say came through yesterday. A year or so on from when I first sent it out to agents. 

The final say was No. 

She said it kindly – praised my writing and the changes made to the novel but ultimately she said no, which is kind of what counts at this point. I considered crying but thought better of it. This isn’t massively surprising news – it was always the more likely choice – and the thing I’m most upset about is that I don’t now have a reason to sit and write all day / fly to England whenever I please.

Sigh.

But, there is good news amidst the bad. The positivity about my writing has been a big boost and people genuinely seem to think that if I apply myself and keep going with this writing thing then one day it will happen. And the truth is I made it pretty far for a first novel - an agent willing to represent me and a publisher who was willing to read it more than once. This sounds like I'm boasting - I don't mean to - it's more an exercise in reminding myself why crying and moping is not necessary. 

So.


So I need to start writing again, a whole new book, which is going to mean summoning self-discipline, which I don’t have in large quantities. And inspiration, which to be honest is easier to come by than self-discipline where I’m concerned, and it’s not easy to come by.

Project Hannah Personality Transplant is officially underway. 

3 comments:

  1. Getting an agent to represent, and a publisher to read, your first novel is an amazing achievement! Keep at it, you will succeed one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was searching "loneliness and independence" I happened to run into your blog. I just felt a interesting feeling of coincidence. It's amazing for me to think of writing a novel! I came to US to start my grad school~happy~but at some time point you'll also feel a temporal and spacial distance of heart. When I saw your blog, I felt happy again. So good luck to your writing! Hope I can find it somewhere in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - thanks for the encouragement, I need it :)

    ATUTU - I studied in the US for my masters (before moving here this time around) and remember it being a pretty lonely experience. I hope it's better for you!

    ReplyDelete