Leviathan

This week I took on the leviathan that is The American Work Ethic and, well, failed.
Basically I asked for the option to take a week’s unpaid leave because my European unionized self couldn’t quite bring myself to face 3 weeks of vacation (less any time where my immune system failed me and I had to use said ‘vacation’ in order to not puke all over my desk) and they said, ummmmm, no.

So I walked away. Or rather I sat on the couch and read the email and sighed. 

Overnight I’ve gone from facing a prospect of gainful employment : a salary and a title that isn’t ‘unemployed layabout’ to being ‘unemployed layabout’ once more. But I’m ok about this. Here’s why:

1.                     1.  I can take my driving test without mortal terror of failing, since there’s no job waiting for me where I have to drive across New England in the first week. 

Hmmmm I think that may be the primary and possibly only reason. On the bright side, the mortal fear did kick me into learning how to drive within a month, after having put it off for a good decade.

My other reasons that I tell myself to make me feel better are:
1.       I’m not yet ready to compromise on the criteria I set when I first decided to move here (even though I know I may well have to eventually since that leviathan is pretty indomitable)

Ok so I’ve only got one reason on that also…

I’m lucky because I have a Jeremy who is OK with me putting off compromise until I can stomach it a little easier. Although, if we look at it from the other angle (which I do find useful), if I hadn’t moved to this crazy country then I’d be comfortable in my 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick leave and in close proximity to family and friends so therefore able to use those 5 weeks on things other than visiting Devon… so while I am very grateful for my loving and supportive husband, this was all in the deal to begin with (this particular angle really just makes me feel a little less guilty for turning down a salary... love you Jeremy x)

Back to square one it is then, and an earnest weighing of the pros and cons of being a teacher.

I miss the EU.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... Being a teacher might not be so bad, and I'm sure it's much easier to get qualified in the US - at least if you were only wanting to teach high school. Generally, my teachers just told me to read out of the text book and answer the questions at the end... I think I was smarter than most of them! And, it's american school, so you'd get like 3 months off!! Awesomeness??

    Good luck with it all. You know, this really makes me think twice about trying to convince Ben to one day move to America. He would hate me for it the day he finds out he only gets 2 weeks holiday (3 weeks is not bad at all you for the US!)
    Sulk.
    xxxxx (Jenna)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The EU misses you right back. Lots.

    At least you're still doing your test. Sorry it didn't work out for you Spanner.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. pros of being a teacher: Not being a teacher in the UK.
    cons of being a teacher: Early starts.
    Simples. :D

    So says a grumpy UK teacher :P
    (Yeah, we get long 'offical' holidays and sick pay in the UK, but we get guilt tripped into going in whilst on that sick pay, and end up working all through the holidays anyway, my US teacher friends say at least their holiday is holiday).
    from a knackered UK Teacher ~:)

    ReplyDelete