Resolution in Action

Ten Things I love about America:

1. Pretty much no one has pronounceable names over there. My mum still can't spell Jeremy's surname and has taken to calling him Jeremy at-the-station.

2. Enthusiasm. Americans are the most enthusiastic people on the planet. It's like a nation of 5 year olds on Christmas eve, and half the time I feel like the kid who told their little sister that Father Christmas doesn't exist - so out of place does cynicism feel.

3. Sushi... not that it's exactly native to America, but it's readily available and affordable and yummy.

4. Fox news. It's appalling, but it makes me feel ever so smug about the BBC.

5. Bears. There are Bears.

6. Obama. For the first time in ummmm ever I'm going to live in a country where I actually feel a sense of Love towards its leader. OK, he's human and I'm sure all this adulation is just setting him up for a fall, but he's a heck of a lot more lovable than our Gordon.

7. Sarah Palin. Actually she terrifies the life out of me but I find her and her political existence absolutely fascinating - only in America. Or Italy.

8. The Everything Bagel. Best invention known to man.

9. Water. You never have to ask for water in restaurants. Ever. If there is one thing European countries should learn from Americans it is this.

10. Ice skating on ponds. OK it's a little bumpy and OK Jeremy's 'test' of stamping on it to see what happens isn't the most scientific so there's always the slight possibility of falling through and having it freeze over and there being one of those horror movie moments of banging on the ice in terror before falling away into the gloom, but it's still pretty magical.

I'm just limbering up on the positivity stakes. I'll be singing Annie songs before you know it.

2 comments:

  1. hah! I found your blog via expatblog, and this post just made me laugh. Hilarious! Isn't it ironic to love the current president but at the same time feel that the majority of the rest of the politics around here are crazy, including Sarah Palin? That's how I feel.

    I love your perspective on the US and can very much relate. I am an American but grew up overseas, and often feel like I simply don't belong here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kacie - I checked out both of your blogs - think we have a fair few things in common actually. Plus your husband is from the same county in the UK as me.

    Good to know that I'm not the only one sometimes viewing America in utter disbelief. Gotta love it though, for its earnestness if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete