Too much information

We are once again, tentatively and nervously, putting in an offer on a house. Our realtor suggested that before we did so, we checked out crime stats and sex offenders in the area. Not that sex offenders can't move, but just to check there wasn't one next door, because, y'know, that might hurt resale value. So along we trundled to the sex offenders register and I don't think I'll ever be quite the same again.

Because I had no idea that the sex offenders register here not only tells me the name of any level 3 (the highest level) sex offenders local to any area I search , but also their address, list of crimes and provides me a photograph.

Am I alone in failing to see how this helps anyone?

It doesn't help me - unless I'm prepared to live my life in fear and to memorise photos and addresses, and even then that doesn't insulate me from possible attacks, because there's such a thing as first-time offender or un-prosecuted offender or not-having-eyes-in-the-back-of-my-head.

Perhaps parents would feel it helps them - perhaps they'd like to tell their children who to avoid, or would like to not buy houses on streets close to pedophiles. I mean, no parent is going to intentionally buy a house next door to a pedophile, so maybe in some way it helps parents. But doesn't that also generate a false sense of security (for all the reasons that I wouldn't be safe even if I committed the sex offenders registry to memory)?  And why, if it's just about where to live, can it not just be a dot on a map rather than a face with a name?

But what shocks me the most about the whole thing is the complete lack of trust in any system of law that it displays. What it says is that a) these people are not (and will never be) rehabilitated and b) that there is no such thing as suitable punishment. It also says that the institutions that should be safeguarding children - the ones who should be doing background checks before hiring staff - are not to be trusted.

How can anyone ever re-enter society and move on and not re-offend if that society is watching them, ostracising them, waiting for them to re-offend? I know that sex offenders do re-offend, I know that allowing them to reintegrate into society isn't a sure-fire way by any means to stop re-offending, but it seems to me that creating a sub-class of people, publicising addresses and photographs is a sure-fire way to generate bitterness and hatred and to encourage re-offending.

In the UK, as I understand it, the sex offenders register is accessible by certain institutions and police do keep track of where sex offenders move to. This also, of course, shows a lack of faith in rehabilitation, but it's probably a realistic lack of faith, and we do need to protect our children.

There is a voluntary organization called 'Circles of Support and Accountability' that operates in the UK, Canada and some parts of the US whereby 3 - 4 trained volunteers form a "Circle of Support and Accountability" around an ex-offender, with the aim of preventing re-offending. A study of the scheme in California showed that participants in the scheme had 83% less sexual re-offending than the matched comparison group. Obviously there are factors such as that the ex-offenders who choose to take part do not want to re-offend, but that can not account for the entire difference in re-offending rates.

I've never written a blog post like this before, and I probably won't again, but I was so shocked by the discovery of this register with its names and addresses and photographs that I wanted to share it with you. I know one thing - I only looked at two of the names, out of curiosity that it was possible more than anything, but I don't feel safer. I feel less safe, and nothing has actually changed in my area beyond this knowledge. I have to say I think America's got it wrong on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment